Saturday, January 10, 2009

71: The Bookstore

I left the next day. There really was no point in tarrying in Leyawiin, after all. I just stopped in at the general store to buy some food and supplies. Gundalas, the pleasant bosmer owner of the store, seemed uneasy about something so I asked him about his troubles. Apparently, news had gotten out about a vampire den in the area, and people were still being attacked on their way into the city.

"I wouldn't be as worried as I am," he said, "but my friend is in the city guard, and he said that there was an attack WITHIN the city yesterday… and the guards still have no idea who is doing it or where they are coming from."

I remembered the checkpoints the guards had established when I first arrived in Leyawiin, evidently no one had stepped up to clear the city of its problem, and I had neither the time nor the inclination to help. "I wish I could help," I said, "but I just can't." Gundalas seemed understanding, but disappointed. I thanked him and departed for the city gates. On the way there, I had an idea. I stopped back in at Kael's house and woke Darkasha from his nap.

"Bah! I was having a terrific dream. What is it?" he hissed.

"If you get a chance, I want you to scout the area for vampires. Leyawiin has been having some trouble with them lately. Let me know if you find them, and how many there are." I said.

"No offense Will," he said, "but no. I have no reason to hunt my own kind."

"I'm not asking you to kill them, and you do have an incentive."

He looked at me quizzically.

"The guards are getting desperate to find these vampires, and they're going to start looking everywhere for them. They might even come looking for you. If we can solve this problem, you won't have to be as cautious as you are now. I'm not asking you to go out of your way, but if you come across them, let me know. Alright?"

"Fine, now go away." He said, rolling over and closing his eyes.

"I'll be in the imperial city for the next few days. Keep me posted." I said, and then departed.


 

When I reached the city, I made my way to the market district. There were a few things Gundalas hadn't been able to provide me with, and I was willing to bet the market district would have the items I was looking for. After buying the alchemical ingredients I needed, as well as a new pair of leather boots, I decided to stop in at the First Edition bookstore and see if I could find anything interesting to read. I spent a few minutes browsing the shelves, and was about to buy an interesting volume on Ayleid history when I noticed a familiar face. He had just entered the bookstore and looked a bit lost. I recognized him after a moment: It was Baurus, one of the emperor's guards on the night of his assassination. When he saw me he looked momentarily surprised, but then thankful. I was about to say something when he cut me short.

"I've been followed. You don't know me. Follow my tail, I might need some help." He said it quickly and quietly, and then immediately began browsing through the shelves of books. I followed suit, although I made sure to be away from Baurus. After a minute or two, an older man entered the bookstore as well and started browsing. He was obviously watching Baurus though, and I kept an eye on him. After a moment Baurus walked towards the back of the store and opened a door under the staircase. He went out of sight and the older man looked around discreetly. I watched him quickly move towards the basement door, and I followed almost immediately. As I stepped into the gloom of the basement, I felt a crackle of magic fill the air, and I saw the old man conjure a full suit of Mythic Dawn armor. He drew his mace and was about to strike Baurus when I electrocuted him with a lightning bolt. He twitched and then his armor dissolved into smoke and he collapsed. Baurus smiled at me.

"Thanks. As you can see, my investigation into the Mythic Dawn has not gone unnoticed. Help me search him, he might have something about me." We flipped the corpse over and patted it down. I found a thick book tucked into his robes.

"Look at this." I said. Holding it up to the light, I could barely make out the title. The gold leaf imprinted on the cover was flaking off, but it clearly said "Mythic Dawn Commentaries 1."

"Great!" Baurus exclaimed. "I've been looking for a copy of that! That's why I was coming to the bookstore in the first place. I'm lucky I found you here too."

At this point, the owner of the bookstore opened the basement door. Baurus stood and said "Official Blades business. Nothing to worry about sir, we'll have it cleaned up within the hour." The owner looked shocked, but nodded and closed the door quietly. Baurus then turned to me. "I'll clean up this mess. Listen, I need you to go talk to that guy. Phintias is his name. See if he knows anything about the other volumes of this book." He thumped the Commentaries. I nodded and walked up the stairs.

Phintias was upstairs wringing his hands and biting his lip. I spoke calmly. "We're sorry about any trouble we've caused you, but we'll see to it that you do not suffer from this." He nodded. "If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you some questions about this:" I brought the Commentaries into his field of vision.

His eyes locked onto it and he took it from me. He immediately began reciting publishing information and then said "A semi-rare book, and in reasonably good condition, what about it?"

"I need to know about the other volumes."

He nodded, "They're very rare, I have Volume Three here in the store… but I'm afraid it has already been claimed and paid for. The other two I haven't seen in years… but you might check at the arcane university."

"Who was the man who bought Volume three?" I asked.

"I'm afraid I've never met him. He wrote me several days ago and asked if I had a copy. When I told him I did, he immediately sent payment and asked that I reserve it for him. It's not uncommon for book collectors to do so. His name is Gwinas, and he should be here within the next few days to claim the copy. I wish I could help more, but I can't renege on my reservation." Phintias looked absolutely honest.

"I understand," I said. "Would you mind if I met with Gwinas, whenever he arrives?"

"I can try and get him to meet you, if you'd like. Um. Should I mention it's for the blades, sir?"

"No," I said. "Best if we kept that to ourselves."

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice comeback! Nice covert spywork too.

January 10, 2009 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see another post, but I think the pace needs a bit of upping.

January 13, 2009 9:03 PM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

the pace of posting? yeah, sorry about that. Thats the trouble with hobbies. They have their ups and downs.

January 14, 2009 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor MD didn't have a chance...

-Noozooroo

January 16, 2009 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I'm not worried about the pace of posting, I mean the pace of the storyline.

February 05, 2009 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that's the end of the story.

March 23, 2009 10:55 PM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Indeed it is. Sorry folks, we're closing shop. In this economy, i just can't justify this anymore (please don't try to send me money). Sorry to have lead you on for so long, but this is it. I'm done, finished, kaput, through, and over.

May the nine guide you in all your endeavors.

April 03, 2009 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK then...

I've sort of gotten over my Elder Scrolls obsession.

I still love it, but I don't find myself thinking about Arvil Bren, Frost in Morrowind, Will Syras, or Victoria as much anymore.

Though I'll probably reread Arvil Bren and/or Frost after the Elder Scrolls books come out!

GLEEE!!!

On a more somber note, it's sad to finally see the end of the last fanfic of the "Fantastic Four" that I, and most of the people here, read.

Bye everyone...

-Noozooroo

June 07, 2009 9:51 PM  
Anonymous angelrage said...

Just thought I'd pop in for a final wave! *wave*

Noozooroo if you ever read this, and want a little more oblivion fan fic, I recommend The Gatewalker saga at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4278618/1/Gatewalker_The_Main_Quest

Farewell.

September 30, 2009 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

February 19, 2010 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

March 17, 2010 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home